Are Gaming laptops for Video Editing?

Do you think gaming laptops can be used for Vfx and video editing? If yes, then how do I set my MSI GE72 6QF Apache Pro laptop to work fast and smooth in After Effects and Premiere Pro. Thanks

1 Like

Hey Nate! First off, welcome to the forum!

Gaming laptops are usually more powerful than regular “consumer” laptops, so the answer to your first question would be yes, absolutely!

As far as making it “work fast and smooth”, that’s a bit more complicated since that depends on a lot of factors. What are the specs of your laptop?

A couple years ago we released a blog post on how to render VFX faster in After Effects and Premiere. I think this post includes some great tips that will help you.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your wise answer. Here is my laptop’s spec:
Name: MSI GE72 6QF Apache Pro

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M (3GB GDDR5)
  • DISPLAY: 17.3”, Full HD (1920 x 1080), IPS
  • STORAGE: 512GB SSD + 1000GB HDD
  • RAM: 1x 16GB DDR4
  • WEIGHT: 2.70 kg (6 lbs)
1 Like

@kayzionii you can use ur laptop for video editing .
Pr will be run smooth ,
After effects is always heavy ( iff you have more and more layers , and effects’s ) it could be hard .
but then you can do an export to keep every thing smooth .

if you planning to do an upgrade , than upgrade your ram to a 32GB

so short answer - yes you can use ur laptop for editing

3 Likes

@kayzionii I discussed this with you on you Facebook thread, but, on Facebook you’d only listed your model number, not actual specs, so my answer was based on MSI’s listing for the base model.

Your 970m is almost twice the speed of the 960m I thought you had. That’s good!

Otherwise, yeah, a gaming laptop works for video editing. Even the sites that sell laptops for video editing are mostly using gaming cards (sometimes a workstation card).

1 Like

Gaming laptops tend to have some horsepower so yeah, not a bad place to start. The downside in using gaming laptops for editing work is that their monitors are designed for speed, not colour. Something to bear in mind if you’re thinking it’s a one shop solution.

3 Likes