Element 3D: Using Particle Replicator to Generate Mountain Ranges

As a quick exercise, I recently created a landscape scene using Adobe After Effects & VideoCopilot’s Element 3D based on Aharon Rabinowitz’s recent “Greebles in Element 3D” tutorial (https://youtu.be/Nm-EUpS724Q). I built this scene in about an hour using a segmented plane primitive as a particle replicator shape and mountain models from a pack by Amit Das as the particles. There is a brief breakdown of the scene at the end.

Tools: Adobe After Effects and Premiere
VideoCopilot Element3D, OpticalFlares, and VCOrb

Music: “Medieval Astrology” by Underbelly & Ty Mayer

1 Like

Wow, thanks for sharing! I always love seeing your work on here. Crazy what you can create in an hour these days! That was also a great tutorial by Aharon.

Wow! That’s really nice! Glad you shared!

Thank you! Your comment means a lot. I just got finished listening to the first episode of the podcast. I really enjoyed hearing your story.

1 Like

I love seeing how much further people take the simple ideas I present. Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

Great to have a legend among us @aharon.rabinowitz! Welcome!

1 Like

Hey Aharon! Sooo hyped to have you here!

I think that this is a great way to use the software! I don’t really use Element that much (I quit adobe a while ago), but this is still just a great.

I love the Film Emulation of the shot, if that makes sense. Like how when the areas become more exposed you can see the saturation go down, and the fact that you had the lens flare from the sun be spherical instead of anamorphic really helps sell it.

The camera work is just breath taking, keeping it low and slow really helps sell just how large in scale this peaks are.

If I had one small critique (for improvement purposes of course) it’d be that the areas not blown out in the highlights are a little bit low resolution. I’m sure you’re aware of this and made this just as a proof of concept, but just something to not as you improve this in the future.

You are doing great, HKH_VFX, and I can’t wait to see more from you.

2 Likes

Thank you! The film emulation you mention I think was a happy accident. I simply adjusted the render settings within Element3D and the parallel light until I got something I was happy with. I also went with a “golden hour” low-angle placement of the sun.

The low resolution you describe is probably the textures. They’re part of VideoCopilot’s Pro Shaders pack and are 2K. And, yes, this was just a test to see what I could do quickly.

I’m playing around with another landscape shot now. I may be helping out on a short film and the director is talking about some landscape shots to place behind talent shot against green screen. This time I’m going with some textures from Quixel’s Megascans which go up to 8K. I’ll post the results when I’m done.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @drewbford! Super pumped to have you!

Episode 4 Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine