Favorite VFX in Film/TV

What are some of your favorite VFX from a film/tv that made your jaw drop every time you see them?

I have tons, but to pick one: To this day, I am still having my mind blown every time I see Skinny steve in the Captain America movies. It’s genuinely feel like magic to me, even after I read about how they did it, I still coulndt believe it’s all compositing work! Brilliant work by the artists at Lola VFX.

4 Likes

Anything from Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest still blows my mind. It’s hard to believe that movie was made in 2006. I watched it again last year, and not only does the VFX hold up, but they’re a lot better than most movies coming out now.

I’m glad it won the VFX Oscar that year. Would’ve been a crime if it didn’t. Davy Jones and his crew were top notch!

1 Like

It’s an old one, but my favorite movie for VFX is Forrest Gump. It’s a great example of “invisible vfx”. The movie is full of VFX, but most of them are not noticeable. The effects are used purely to enhance the story, which at the end of the day is the most important aspect of any film. Very deserving of the best VFX academy award in 1994.

3 Likes

This isn’t as exciting as some choices, but all the invisible effects from 1917 blew my mind. To this day, there are only maybe 2 spots that the cuts are obvious to me, which is insane for a feature length film.

4 Likes

loved the VFX in 1917! invisible VFX always have a special place in my heart

2 Likes

I have to give a shout out to the proton streams in Ghostbusters I and II (1984/89). It’s some beautiful hand-drawn effects animation (with some pyro and flare comped in, depending on the shot), and I love how the beams react as if they have mass. They move more like a fluid stream than an energy beam.

Ghostbusters: Answer the Call (2016) did a great job recreating the look digitally. I suspect they used 3D models.

There are tutorials online on recreating a proton stream, but the majority use a single point A to B lightning generator and don’t have the proper arc feel. My own tutorial chains several lightning instances (Points A, B, C, D, etc) which gets closer, if not quite perfect.

1 Like

Davy Jones is a fantastic shout. The First Matrix still makes me all goo-ey eyed though! Also this’ll sound strange but the original Mary Poppins is amazing too. Its the reason I work in VFX today and theres a load of surprisingly well hidden effect shots (matte paintings specifically) in that film!!

3 Likes

Going back a few years, but I always give props to Cameron’s liquid metal terminator in Terminator II. I loved that when he ‘flowed’ through the bars in the hospital scene, his gun didn’t go through. It’s a small detail, but I loved that someone though about that. Also, Will_Jones is right - the first Matrix is a work of art.

1 Like

I’m a fan of the old school effects done in Doctor Who in the 1970’s and 80’s.

My favourite regeneration is the one from Tom Baker into Peter Davison. Roll back and mix, coupled with a Quantel 5001 in the studio being used for lining up the eyes of the actors; including the one in the Watcher makeup…

Visually stunning, especially for 1981.

1 Like

For environments and an epic battle scene, Guardians of the Galaxy - Knowhere, is one of the best things I ever saw. How many artists do you think worked on this? I bet it was a lot.

1 Like

That was awesome! I have never seen guardians of the galaxy(or any superhero movies for that matter) but this sure was awesome! Such a massive detailed environment! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

1 Like

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: