How important are Scopes when it comes to VFX?

How important are Scopes when it comes to making realistic VFX?

2 Likes

I’d say it’s pretty important, you always want to try to balance it out, but if not it’s usually not an issue.

Thanks Alex!:grinning:

1 Like

Come back anytime for advice from the master photographer!

1 Like

Thanks! :smiley:

1 Like

No problem!
P.S. I’m exaggerating a little about the “master photographer” bit :laughing:

1 Like

No worry’s!:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::v:

1 Like

Hey @JtJutsVFX! I am guessing you are referring to the scopes like the histogram and waveform scopes. Am I correct?

2 Likes

It’s a great tool for color correction and color grading. I usually use it make sure the color in my scene is balanced!

2 Likes

Thanks Danasa!

I apologize! When I was referring to the levels histogram, I actually was talking about scopes! Sorry about the confusion! Just me getting mixed up with VFX terms! :joy:

I find them very useful, I spent many years working on uncalibrated monitors and got in the habit of using them. When in doubt check the scopes!

1 Like

Thanks Clayton!

Cool! Wanted to make sure I understood the question.

I personally find scopes very useful when compositing realistic VFX! They help solidify my decisions because they give me hard truths in a creative world. I specifically use them when matching elements to the screen for both color and exposure, checking for over-saturation, and watching for clipping in both the whites and blacks.

1 Like

That’s great to hear! I think that I will start using them then!

Oh, if you’re talking about scopes and not the histogram, what are scopes? I haven’t heard of it yet!

1 Like

Sorry about that Alec! I was just getting mixed up with technical terms.:upside_down_face: I’m really just started to learn about Scopes myself so I’m afraid that I won’t be able to describe them to you very well.

Here is a good write-up to help you get started!

2 Likes

Yup, still important, especially the waveform scope that can tell you if your assets are incorrectly coloured!

2 Likes

Also doesn’t hurt to provide the colorist with some alphas for your work, so they can get a little more intricate with it, and/or if you’re a little off they can tweak and isolate what you’ve done to the shot.

2 Likes