Is After Effects necessary for realistic VFX?

Thanks for clarifying! I absolutely love Blender! How long have you been using it?

I started using it for game development, about a year or two ago then stopped, and then Iā€™m not sure how I started using it again.

1 Like

A good artist is hampered by weak software but can still create decent composites. A weak artist will get an assist from nifty tools in good software but still produce weak composites.

After Effects, Fusion, and Nuke have superior tools available, but they only enhance abilities, they donā€™t confer them.

2 Likes

For sure Glenn! Thanks for your input! :grinning: And the stock footage you are using in your composite also makes a huge difference!

Iā€™m glad to hear there is life beyond After Effects. Adobe and I parted ways after 20 years; I was a user since PS 2.5. I donā€™t rent software and I wonā€™t have my work held hostage. I still have my CS 5.5 Master collection on my old Macbook Pro, running 10.6.8. I can access some of my old projects if I need to. No one has ever asked me for a restrospectiveā€¦Iā€™m guessing your work is better :smiley:

I think plans where you pay for the software and updates for a specific time are reasonable, rent 'til you die, is not.

What do you use for motion graphics now? Iā€™m exploring options and would love a non-Adobe centric pov.

4 Likes

Thanks for the response! I certainly agree about the tools making a difference. I started out using Macromedia Director (compressing Cinepack on an '040ā€¦snooze) and even Hitfilm Express will eclipse that with ease.

I donā€™t see myself going back to Adobe, unless I had a professional reason to do so. I did, however, take up Foundryā€™s offer for a free year of Nuke (student, again) and Iā€™ve just started tinkering with that. Honestly, I expect that Iā€™ll end up settling on Fusion, if for no other reason than it wonā€™t cost me three grand! I do like that Nuke Studio has a dedicated 3d and paint option, it certainly makes the moving of objects easier.

It had been years since I had done much with 3d/VFX/Ainimation, always having other jobs to pay the bills. My old cheese grater still has my Mac OS 10.6/Final Cut 7/CS 5.5/Maya 2008/Cinema4d 11 stuff on it. It works fine for playing around in 2k and I spent more than a bit of time thinking about whether I wanted to pony up to learning a whole new set of tools and work flow, for what will likely be personal projects. But, what the heck, I ran to the end of the dock and leaped, so here I am. :smiley:

Wow! That difference is incredible!

I use Hitfilm and blender too! However, I would tend to use Hitfilm to edit and Blender for VFX.

1 Like