Looking for requests: what would you like to learn about Fusion?

The subject says it all really. In the past I’ve done a couple of Fusion specific tutorials for ActionVFX and on my own YouTube channel and I like helping people out.

I’ve been using Fusion for over 20 years now, so there’s probably a lot of info that I take for granted or that is now part of my muscle memory that could be really useful for people who are new to Resolve and/or Fusion.

So here’s my question: what would you like to learn about Fusion? What parts of it still mystify you?

If it’s something worth sharing with a lot of people, it might end up in a new tutorial in the future.

Sander de Regt
ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

1 Like

ShadowMaker, timely post!

I’m switching over from Mac/FCPX to PC/Resolve/Fusion. I have things in ProRes and Prores is the format that AVFX uses, so I’m trying to noodle out a workflow, esp for Fusion VFX. I’m not seeing encoding options on PC outside of Adobe (which I won’t use) for Prores. Do you transcode the AVFX things that you use in Fusion? If so, what format? If you have a reference you’ve created that I’ve missed, I’d love to see it!

Thanks for your time!

2 Likes

That’s a good question. I am not an expert on this, so do some additional research, but as far as I know Fusion Studio can encode (some forms of) ProRes while Resolve Studion can’t. This probably has something to do with legacy licensing from when Fusion wasn’t yet owned by BMD.

Also FFMPEG does some sort of semi-prores encoding but I think that’s a semi-legal hack.

The good thing is that for working with the AVFX footage that doesn’t make a difference because - again as far as I know - both Resolve and Fusion can DEcode ProRes withou issue, so you only have to decide on a different delivery format, but transcoding the AVFX footage is usually not necessary.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, I’ll look some more. Interestingly, I’m finding very little about it, so maybe I’ll make a post when I find an answer.

Do you use ProRes then for your Fusion Studio work? On Mac or PC? I’m mostly switching to PC because I need a system with CUDA for my 3D work and Mac hasn’t made one in a decade and doesn’t look to be making another in this decade. My PC is several times faster than the fastest cheese grater (that can run Nvidia cards), and they’ll soon be unable to run current software.

Since I’m just getting it set up now, I"m trying to nail a codec/workflow to aviod hassle down the road.

Thanks again!

I’ve been working in the free version of Resolve for about a year now. So, I understand the node system a bit (working in the color tab), but I am just starting on learning VFX and compositing.

Do you have any recommendations/ resources for developing skills on compositing (best ways to practice), VFX, and learning the system Fusion has to offer?

Second question, in your experience is it better to invest in VFX assets that have already been made and sold in packs, or should I develop skills in blender (or another software) to make my own assets?

I learned at least one thing. I didn’t know there was a separate version of Fusion outside of Studio.

Here’s a link showing the differences:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion/compare

As my skills in Fusion grow, I’ll definitely give it a look. Many are studio size needs but being able to render on a networked node vs tying up your main computer and being able to view on a preview monitor over Decklink cards is a pretty big plus up.

Ok, I won’t beat this to death, but since the different versions were mentioned; Fusion Studio full version is now part of Resolve Studio. Poking aorund, I found this was changed earlier this year, so if you have the full paid version of one, you get the full paid version of the other.

BOGO, VFX heaven!