More variety in frame rates for elements?

I keep finding that your elements are exactly what I want to use in theory, but because they were shot at high frame rates, they end up being unusable due to the lack of proper motion blur when used at real time in a 24fps shot. The problem comes in with things like bullet/particle hits, debris, falling rain, snow, or other fast moving/particle elements where optical flow motion blur just can’t properly figure out what to do with them. I always think “oh, it’ll work this time”, and end up giving up and simulating something custom to get the proper motion blur.

My suggestion would be to shoot elements such as these at both 24fps (180° shutter) and your higher frame rate so we have a range of options to pull from. Given how similar a lot of the clips in a single collection can be, I think this would also give a nice variety and reason to buy the whole thing instead of just a handful of clips.

3 Likes

Sounds like a good idea!

1 Like

Really good idea. I added some motion blur to a breaking glass asset and it worked really well. But I can imagine it might be more difficult with some other assets.

2 Likes

Hi there Jeremy, thanks for sharing! I personally would just export the element in 24, 25, or 30 FPS and then bring it back into my editor and add motion blur from there but that might not look as good and it isn’t very practical.

1 Like

Thanks for the input @jer! We always appreciate hearing how we can provide everyone with the best assets possible. I do like the idea of having things filmed at different frame rates and that is something we might be able to provide in the future.

I also want to suggest checking out REELSMART Motion Blur. It isn’t perfect but I have used it multiple times where the native motion blur doesn’t do the trick. It might be able to help you out in some instances.