New After Effects Tutorial! Create Realistic CG Glass From Scratch

In this tutorial, we will create a glass pane in a 3D environment and show you important principles that you need to know like reflections and refractions.

We also make it battle-scarred with free elements like bullet holes, glass fractures, and more! Find them below the video.

Collections used:
Breaking Glass

Fractured Glass Vol.1 (Free!)

Bullet Hole Textures (Free!)

If you have any questions or comments about the tutorial, drop them below in this thread! We want to hear from you!

10 Likes

I’ve never seen the care taken to actually convert the glass into 3D and actually have it behave realistically! This is awesome content @danasa!

3 Likes

One of my favorite parts of this tutorial is the reflections that you created @danasa . Very well done!

4 Likes

Thank you @zac @Joel !
:smile: Glad you enjoyed the tutorial!

1 Like

Couldn’t understand the name for the hdri source.

1 Like

It’s https://hdrihaven.com/ :+1:

2 Likes

This will be helpful, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @gwtphd and @sabrina!

High Five Boom GIF by TipsyElves.com

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Holy hell that’s awesome. And it’s a short tutorial haha. Love short tutorials that get right to the point and end up with professional-looking results.

2 Likes

awesome tutorial… thank you!

2 Likes

This is such a cool one. Great job, @danasa ! :fire:

3 Likes

Very Nice!

2 Likes

@Cody This is a great tutorial. Thanks for posting it!

I followed along, but instead of using After Effects, I used HitFilm Express. I made a few adjustments along the way, but I think it came out fairly well. Here is the result…

4 Likes

That looks great! Thanks for sharing it with us!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, @nikhil!
High Five Boom GIF by TipsyElves.com

1 Like

great work! thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

Thanks @danasa You have made a great tutorial! I am releasing a tutorial based on yours (but in HitFilm) tomorrow. In my tutorial, I give you all the credit and I encourage everyone to see your video also.

1 Like