Sorcerer's Portal (inspired by Doctor Strange)

A Doctor Strange inspired portal I made using Houdini Apprentice and Blender(both free). Also my first Houdini VFX project.

It’s pretty basic in terms of use/presentation, but I think it ended up looking pretty good and movie-accurate.
What do you guys think?

6 Likes

Hey Michael! Thanks for sharing, this is awesome.
I think this looks really accurate as far as the effect from the movie goes, too!

Nice job! :fire:

2 Likes

This looks great @michael.the.seeker.7! The only thing that’s not 100% movie accurate is the coloring. The movies are more orange than this, like traditional fire or sparks.

1 Like

Noted! Thanks! :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum :wave:
Is this your first finished project? If so, it’s really good, even if it’s not your first. Good job!

1 Like

Thank you, @buddyalexcobh! :slight_smile:

It’s my first finished project using Houdini. I’ve been using Blender for about two years, so the fundamentals were mostly there. It was mainly a matter of “translation”, of learning the software itself and how to apply the things I already knew in it.

1 Like

Cool! What’s Houdini like?

Seems complicated at first, but it gets pretty easy to understand if you know the basics of working with 3d software. The major difference from blender(no clue how to explain in relation to any other software) is that basically everything is done with nodes. Transformations, modifiers, particle sims, fluid/smoke sims, all nodes.

1 Like

Indeed.