Spydurhank's Project 'Filmer' I call it God Mode

So I developed a 3D scene and render passes exchange technique that works with any dedicated 3D application and either node based or layer based compositing software programs like Fusion, Nuke, After Effects via E3d, Hitfilm.Pro, Hitfilm Express and Vegas Effects which are the programs that I’ve tried my technique on so far. Also works for Game engines like Unreal which I’ve tried once so far. It wasn’t even that hard… just had to learn the entire 3D asset creation to compositing pipeline for dedicated 3D apps and compositing software… oh yeah… and I had to learn how to write code and develop my custom version of Blender b3d called Filmer.
Here are a few demo videos showcasing my process. In this case I’m using Filmer/b3d with Hitfilm Pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bxa4PK1Sqg&t=137s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNUuwcryaTk

Here are a few screengrabs as I just coded camera dof, motion blur, focal length, focus distance and sensor size into my Exporters. I exported a simple animated scene to test that the entire 3D scene looks the same in both programs making it so I can re-light, re-texture and further tweak materials even after Comping the Filmer Render passes and AOVs in Hitfilm. Magic yo!.

I’ll post more complicated stuff as I progress but like I said… I’ve been doing this since 2008. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This looks pretty cool, certainly a growth experience! I started using Hit Film Express when it was bundled with Sony’s Vegas products. I noticed that Magix has continued that relationship with Vegas Post, essentially Hit Film’s products enveloped in Vegas. I do wonder if the Vegas products will keep getting the updates that Hitfilm gets, or if it will quickly fall behind?

Looking at this, I downloaded Blender, which I haven’t looked at in more than a decade. Back then it always felt like a solution in search of a purpose: ‘Look we’re a game engine, Look we’re an animation studio, Look we’re a VFX engine.’ Obviously it could do those things, but it felt a bit lost at the time.

So having used the other tools, what kept you on track with HF/b3d? Having Mocha in HF is obviously bonus, esp since you get an entire VFX suite for less than just the Mocha…

I see you are dev’ing a Filmer fork of b3d? From what I’m seeing, the new Blender/Cycles X should be a great boon to your efforts! And the enhanced AMD support would nice if someone had a Mac they wanted to use it on… :smiley: I know Blender is Open Source, but HF isn’t. Has FXHome been involved with you on this? It seems that they would gain a lot by having another fan tool so well intergrated into their product?

Sorry for a ton of questions; it just sounds like an interesting project! :sunglasses:

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks @zaubermac, I don’t mind the questions and I’m very glad you like my project. :grinning:

I have Vegas Pro 17 bundled along with Vegas Effects, I like em’ both, saving up for Vegas 19… :grinning:

Ah Blender… I learned Blender 2.42 way back in 2008… back when there was no Undo Control + Z or a prompt to to save if you accidentally closed down Blender. Those days were nuts. :slight_smile:

Na, I’ve been doing this solo on the FXhome forums since 2008. :grinning: Oh yeah, to get some support and exposure would be pretty, fantastically, awesome for sure. :grinning:

Ah the thing that kept me on track, as you asked is… Focusing on art… just art and imagination.

1 Like

Repainting and old X-wing that I gave away in a bundle of high res and LOD 3D models a few years ago for a free. Probably gonna do another Free giveaway pretty soon-ish. This model has 10K textures. Yes, I build all of my own 3D assets and stuff. :grinning:

Hmm I used the wrong format for the video links above… To high of a fever to remember how to edit a post, my brain don’t work too good when I’m runnin’ hot. Whew…

In this video I use animated 3D stuff exported from Unreal engine, import the scene into my Software Filmer/b3d for path traced rendering and then export the scene to Hitfilm for compositing. I use the exported scene from Filmer to enhance the Filmer/b3d render passes in Hitfilm by being able to re-light the scene, re-tweak the materials, re-texture the entire 3D scene without having to suffer from the composite shot size limit so that I can use up to 16K textures and such,

In this video, I use the same technique as above but also export an animated multi material hard surface character along with the bone armature rig that is driving the animation. Lots of cool compositing hacks in this one.

I’m recording a re-lighting demo as soon as this two week long fever goes away when I’ll be able to focus and have memory recall again… not being able to remember stuff suuuuuuuuuuuuucks so bad. Haven’t felt like this since I first got blunt brain trauma and hyperthermia when I was 3 years old… whew.

I coded a new Filmer Curves Modifier a while back that automatically bridges two adjacent curves into Quad Faces to build this Enterprise based From the Discovery show. Modelling with Curves is pretty fast…ish. It came out looking pretty good. Everything is geometry with no Normal maps to represent fake geometry.

Back to Art and Coding from a little break… looks like I won’t be going to the next place anytime soon… lots to do and plenty of time left to do it with. :grinning:

1 Like