Using ActionVFX on my IPad Pro!

Ever want to use the amazing VFX Effects but only have an iPad? Well it’s your lucky day! I’m about to tell you what I did when my MacBook died.

First thing I did was reach out to the ActionVFX team, I explained my situation. While they were not able to help much, they did give me an idea! They said I needed to find a way to convert the files to MP4 format so it could possibly work on my iPad Pro. So I began my investigation into how to convert files using my iPad.

The next thing I did was go to everyone’s best research tool, Google! After checking a few sources I found there is an App called MediaConvert. MediaConvert allows its users to convert all kinds of media formats to popular media formats: mp3, mp4 (mpeg4/h264,aac), ogg (theora, flac) , avi (mpeg4, mp3), mpeg (mpeg1, mp2), flv (flv, mp3), gif and wav. 

After playing around with the App for awhile I decided to try my luck and see if it would work. First thing I did was download one of ActionVFX’s amazing free VFX Effects. I decided to try my luck with the FREE SPELL HITS VFX. I downloaded the 2K Zip File, the uncompressed the File which was named F-SH1_2K-PRORES. 

I then saved the F-SH1_2K-PRORES File to my ICloud File App to its own file and went to the MediaConvert App and opened it. Next thing I did was click the little Plus Symbol that’s in top right corner, soon as I clicked it a few options came up. I clicked the bottom option which was Files/iCloud Drive, my iCloud Drive came up in a pop-up window. I clicked on the F-SH1_2K-PRORES File and clicked the first effect which was Spell_Hit_7_1226_2K. The Spell Hit effect came up with the option of “Convert Video”. The VFX converted from an MOV file to an MP4. I clicked the information icon on the right and saved the file to my iCloud File App. (To make it easier on me, I created another File, I named it VFX MP4 Effects) 

After saving the file, I opened my LumaFusion Video Editing App and opened a new project then opened up something I pre-recorded with my wife and kids. Next I opened the Spell Hit VFX MP4 file and drug it over the pre-recorded video and it worked amazing! I downloaded a few more VFX Effects from ActionVFX and followed the same process with each of the VFX’s I did with the Spell Hit VFX and saved them to the same MP4 VFX folder I made earlier. 

Using those VFX’s I converted. I made a cute little home mini-movie where my youngest daughter, Vanessa, finds Thor’s hammer. How do you guys think it turned out?
2 Likes

Great job! Brilliant way to get around the compatibility issues. Hopefully soon iOS will begin to support ProRes files and you can use the files directly in LumaFusion. Keep up the great work!

1 Like

great work! thank you for sharing!