Introduction / Welcome - 20 year film industry veteran VFX/DoP

Hey everyone. Excited to be here. This reminds me of the old days when I met Rodolphe and many other likeminded and talented filmmaking up-and-comers on a similar forum for VFX stuff back in the early 2000’s.

I am now a professional cinematographer and VFX supervisor. Usually when I shoot a film I do both jobs now (VFX and DoP). You can check out my imdb here to get an idea of what I’ve been up to: Anthony J. Rickert-Epstein - IMDb

Probably the biggest thing anyone on here will recognize is the Star Wars Scene 38 short that I shot. FXITINPOST did the VFX on that one and even when I was shooting it I was like bro you’re gonna have a BUNCH of work to do when you sit down at the computer for this. He was a beast tho, did it all mostly himself. It was an insane shoot and we got it all done in one 20-something hour sitting.

I have been making movies since I was like 8 years old, I’m 37 now, and while I am not the best in the game, I have worked on a lot of fun projects and I taught myself everything I know so I’m pretty happy with my trajectory so far. Anything else I don’t know I try to constantly learn from others and/or teach myself more.

I am now a local 600 union member as a cinematographer so I’m hoping the years to come bring new and amazing ventures. I haven’t done a new reel in a while but here’s my latest cinematography reel:

I’m going to make a new VFX reel soon and I’ll post it on here then.

For now, catch me lurking around on these forums and responding whenever I feel I may be of assistance/relevance. if anyone has any questions ever I’m happy to help. Remember though, there’s a million ways to skin a cat in VFX land. We all have our different quirky ways of getting from point A to point B. Good luck and welcome to the Action VFX Forums!

7 Likes

I am honored to have you on here, man! Who would’ve thought you and I would still be interacting on forums over a decade later?

Welcome Aboard Comedy Bang Bang GIF

For anyone reading, A.J. is also the DP behind this masterpiece. Not at all the coolest thing he’s done, but one of our favorites at ActionVFX!

3 Likes

Duuuuuude! Your reel is legit! Some high quality projects in there. What’s the movie with William Fichtner? I’m really glad that people like you are on here!

Edit: Great song choice too!

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s amazingly impressive. Thanks for being here and sharing your experience.

3 Likes

Brooooo! Your skill level is incredible!

2 Likes

It’s called Armed.

That is quite a show reel!

Love the flow of it with the music! Smoking, fighting, car chasing, sexing. Amazing!