I made a short film inside of Unreal Engine in under a month with zero previous experience

Hey guys!

I just released this Sci-fi short made with Unreal Engine.

I was able to finish it in less than a month and I had no experience whatsoever with Unreal before this.

I didn’t have access to any mocap suits so 95% of the animations come from Mixamo.

It has its issues but for being my first project I’m really proud of it.

Let me know what you guys think.

2 Likes

This was really impressive! And made in a month with no previous experience?!? That’s unbelievable! Thanks a lot for sharing and welcome to the community!

2 Likes

Your name sounds very familiar! Do you work with Aro Inc by any chance?

I’ll check out your film when I have the time. Thanks for sharing it, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks man!

1 Like

Hey! Yeah I did that Aim High Commercial a couple months ago!

Definitely let me know what you think of the film if you have a chance to watch it.

3 Likes

OK, wow! I had a chance to watch this finally!

@edy This was really impressive in more than one way. The overall pacing and directing I thought was really on point. You did a great job at making me feel what you wanted to make me feel; to me, that’s the #1 sign of good directing. I totally was not ready for the monsters halfway through. That reveal scene was handled very well!

The end credits made me feel like we’d get along :joy:

What was the hardest part of making this short film for you?

1 Like

Wow @edy this is amazing! I second what the others have said, this had me feeling exactly what I think you intended, on the edge of my seat, with fingers and toes crossed for the main dude! Well done!

2 Likes

great work! love the atmosphere!

2 Likes

Yeah this is super awesome work! One thing I really loved was the voice acting for the character. I thought it matched really well!

Wow! This is awesome! I can’t believe you had no prior experience with Unreal before making this. I love the creative choices you made with your camera movements! And your sense of composition is great as well, especially the shot at 1:54! Great work!

Quick Tip: When you are getting that “Preview” text on your models or characters, it’s because Unreal wants you to build the lighting in your scene after making certain changes. Once you build the lighting, the “Preview” text will go away. Hopefully this helps!

1 Like

This is great! What courses/guides did you follow to learn UE? I’ve been wanting to get into it.

Wow! This is so cool!

1 Like