Unpopular Movie Opinions

Oh yes, I did read about that. Studio execs need to leave the creative decisions to the director entirely.

Yes I was terribly saddened they went out of business due to the pandemic. With it being a digital age, we’re probably never going to have a vfx magazine we can hold in our hands again.

1 Like

I loved Solo! It’s my favorite of the Disney movies. Check out the Rotten Tomatoes fan ratings for all of the Star Wars movies from worse to best:

Name Rotten Tomatoes Fan Rating
Episode 5 The Empire Strikes Back 97
Episode 4 A New Hope 96
Episode 6 Return of the Jedi 94
Episode 9 Rise of Skywalker 86
Rogue 1 A Star Wars Story 86
Episode 7 The Force Awakens 86
Episode 3 Revenge of the Sith 66
Solo A Star Wars Story 64
Episode 1 The Phantom Menace 59
Episode 2 Attack of the Clones 56
Episode 8 The Last Jedi 42

Okay. This one’s bound to cause some hate, but since we’re on the star wars theme: Mark Hamill gettting second credit on Force Awakens for looking at the camera for like 6 seconds. I know he’s Mark Hamill, but… really?

1. 300 sucked. I hated it. The PG version was better: (Brush your teeth!)

2. Sometimes I watch movies with subtitles and I’m okay with that. (and English is my first language)

3. I still love Jar Jar Binks

3 Likes

How is it possible to love Jar Jar binks?

1 Like

jar jar binks GIF
What’s not to love? :joy:

5 Likes

@Rodolphe, you are so funny!:joy:

Since there are a lot of Star Wars mentions, I will throw in a few of my unpopular Star Wars opinions:

Of all the films, The Phantom Menace is my least favorite, but I love the last act. I think it has the best lightsaber duel and space battle in the prequels (yes, including Revenge of the Sith).

While Empire Strikes Back being my favorite of the series is not unpopular, having enjoyed The Last Jedi as the my second favorite is. And yes, I am a life-long Star Wars fan with too many collections and costumes. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Amazing Spider-Man 1 is the best Spider-Man movie!

1 Like

Speed Racer live action was a great fun movie! that embraced the source material and absolutely had a blast with it! :grin::raised_hands:t6:

I think of movies like food. Either you like it or you don’t. I don’t care what anyone’s opinions are of ANY movie. I’ve stopped listening to film critics because they really don’t seem to care what the movies are actually about, or care about the intentions of the filmmakers.

I think “fans” are the worst critics. Take any franchise. Star Wars, for instance. Almost everyone I know, including myself, have favorite characters from the Star Wars series. I may agree with others on which were the worst Star Wars, but, it would just be my opinion in the end. My niece loves Episode 3 of Star Wars. I personally think it’s the worst of the bunch, next to 7, 8 and 9. But, hey, that’s just me. My opinion on Episode 3 is not going to change.

In the end, I think it comes down to what film entertains you the most. And what I consider entertainment, may be a snoozefest to someone else.

I’ll say this, my biggest complaint I have is about audiences not the films or filmmakers. I’m so tired of people who complain about films that are “too long”. In fact, what they’re complaining about is that the filmmakers have the audacity to tell a story. What? Tell a story? Noooo. I want more explosions and flying heads! Sadly, many filmmakers play to that thinking. Which is why I’m drawn to more foreign films than American films. (End of rant)

Oof here goes. I think the broad strokes story of the Star Wars prequels is amazing. Yes, there’s some wonkey dialogue, strange decisions (giving Jar Jar THAT accent) and some odd acting here and there, but I do genuinly think the Story they are telling is great!

Also, I think the assassins creed movie (while admittedly having too much shakey cam/quick editing) is an awesome addition to the assassins creed story!

(possibly biased because I spent a good few months working on it)

1 Like

Hey, welcome to the forum @BRGriffin! Glad to have you!

You want unpopular lol, here is unpopular…I enjoyed the new Mortal Kombat film!! There is said it!

Oh My God Reaction GIF by 9Now

You’re the bravest of us all @jmartin1223!

1 Like

My unpopular movie opinion…
Star Wars…

Ep 1, 2 and 3 didn’t stink because of Lucas or anybody else except the talent.

Many claim or whine about how difficult it was to act with “nothing there”… ooooooh ahhhhhh, like green screen or imaginations were just recently invented. Sorry, but that’s unacceptable from any and all of the cast.

I sit and watch our family’s kids play with sticks, empty boxes (yep, we raised em like dogs and cats) with more emphasis and passion in their pretending that even McGreggor pulled off in his “I’m just reading the prompter” vibe that he gave off.

Don’t believe me?
Throw any one of them into the DVD player (ouch, showing my age am I?), ok you can play it on your phone I guess… do NOT watch any of it. Just listen. It’s horrible to the ears… the acting is atrocious. Now turn the sound off and put on one of your favorite albums and just watch the movie (tougher to do with your phone but if you can do both, text me “how to”).
The visuals were great.

So the VFX community that worked on it, yes, even Jar Jar… did their jobs.

Again, just my unpopular opinion.
I know most felt it was George. But he’s just the conductor in this symphony of horror that many of us just pretend never happened.

(ugh this was longer than I’d expected and just reminds me that I’ve got a blog to write)

Might get extradited from the VFX industry for this, but I’ve only seen maybe 5 Marvel movies I’ve actually enjoyed. I love the Guardians of the Galaxy films, Doctor Strange, the first iron man film, and the first Avengers movie, but other than that none of the recent ones have done it for me :man_shrugging:

It could be that I never really find myself fully emerged into movies with heavy visual effects. I love watching them for the effects, but I spend the whole time thinking about how it was accomplished rather than enjoying it for the story. I respect the time put into them and am mind blown by the effects, just isn’t my cup of tea.

1 Like
  1. The Last Jedi is one of the best Star Wars film.

2. As much as I enjoy CG dinosaurs fighting each other, the biggest mistake of the Jurassic World franchise is turning what was a sci-fi thriller franchise into sci-fi action. The original trilogy, while they’re not very consistent in quality; still feel like they belong in the same universe. It’s a survival horror/thriller but instead of running away from serial killers or demons, it’s dinosaurs. The characters in the original films are everyday people trying to survive this island full of monsters. I love Chris Pratt, but having a superhero-esque character who is good at fighting, good with weapons, etc, as the main character removes the stakes and thus remove the charm of what made the original worked. Now Jurassic World feels like superhero film with dinosaurs

1 Like

Nah, I agree with you here. In the lead up to Avengers: Endgame my wife and I embarked on a re-watch of everything, and only Captain America: Winter Soldier and Spider-Man: Homecoming held up for me on the re-watch. (Oh, and Into the Spider-Verse which might be the best comics movie ever made - and that’s with the existence of Batman: Mask of the Phantasm!)

Not co-incidentally, those are also the only two that surprised me on first watch… Being a dude in my 40’s who’s read comics since about 1976 I’ve SEEN all these stories before, so, once I got over the squueeee of seeing the big budget Superhero films that didn’t exist when I was a teen/college age guy…

…most of them aren’t very good.

Watching Marvel movies is like watching a TV show, but only the first episode, then the mid-season and season finales. Things skip around, relationships and backstories appear and dissappear at random, and things never get explained.

We’ll NEVER get the backstory on how Hulk went from “Hulk Smash” to “Professor Hulk.”

We’ll NEVER get the full story on how Steve Rogers created the multiverse and broke his oaths to others so he could go marry Hayley Atwell and destroy the entire continuity of SHIELD. (Although, for Hayley Atwell, I’d destroy the Timeline, too!)

Oh, look, it’s a Black Widow prequel only five years too late… No, wait, it’s REALLY the “please like the new Phase IV Black Widow” movie. ScarJo is incidental to her own starring role!

1 Like

Unpopular Opinion #1
Star Wars and Star Trek are both equally awesome!

When I was growing up you had to like one and hate the other. To me they are both quality in their own way. Just enjoy each for what it is!

Unpopular Opinion #2
Star Trek: TMP is actually a good movie.

Yes, it’s slow and plodding at times, but the idea behind it is really interesting. And the visuals for the time were quite amazing!

Unpopular Opinion #3
Star Wars: Solo is good

I personally thought it was quite enjoyable and thoroughly entertaining. It’s biggest problem is that it came out right after Ep 8, and the disappointment over that movie spilled over onto Solo.

(Spoiler Alert for Avenger’s endgame!)

The end of Avengers endgame was terrible. In the cinemas I was amazed at how big of a hole the scriptwriters had dug themselves and I was wondering how they heck they would dig themselves out of it, and personally I think they were thinking the same thing. The whole scene with Captain Marvel felt pointless and completely destroyed the power of Thanos’s army and it just ruined that feeling of suspense and the gravity of the situation. It felt too easy since everything else had been so hard so far in the movie and it was a bit like why not do that earlier?? To be honest I am not sure if this is an unpopular opinion but I just wanted to get my opinion out and see what other people thought.